These Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Muffins are super fluffy, moist, and packed with chocolate. Made with vegan buttermilk and plant-based yogurt. They will easily become your favorite muffins. Perfect for breakfast or snack.
THESE CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS ARE:
- bakery-style muffins
- made with vegan buttermilk and yogurt
- one of the best muffins
- perfect for breakfast, brunch, or snack
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE BAKERY-STYLE VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS:
You need the following ingredients to make these Chocolate Chip Muffins (the exact measurements are in the recipe card below):
- Unsweetened almond milk – Use any plant-based milk of your choice, such as soy, oat, or cashew (although some milk like soy milk can thicken in combination with apple cider vinegar, so you may need to add a bit more of the milk). Make sure the milk you use has room temperature (otherwise, it will harden the coconut oil in the batter).
- Apple cider vinegar – In combination with almond milk, it creates vegan buttermilk, which improves the texture of the muffins.
- White cane sugar
- Brown sugar – holds the moisture within the muffins. You can substitute for coconut sugar.
- Coconut oil – If you don’t like coconut flavor, use deodorized coconut oil (flavor-free). Make sure the coconut oil is melted but not too hot.
- Vegan yogurt – Makes them moist. Use plant-based plain yogurt (preferably unsweetened). The yogurt you use should have room temperature. You can also use unsweetened applesauce instead.
- Vanilla extract or paste – for better flavor. Use high-quality pure vanilla extract or paste. This ingredient is optional.
- All-purpose flour – Makes the muffins soft and pillowy.
- Cornstarch – improves the texture.
- Baking soda and baking powder – Raising agents that help the muffins to rise. For activating baking soda, we use apple cider vinegar.
- Sea salt – balance the sweetness.
- Vegan chocolate chip or a chopped chocolate bar – use high-quality vegan chocolate.
Equipment you need:
- Mixing bowl
- Muffin pan – for 12 muffins.
- Muffin liners – 12x
- Cooling rack
HOW TO MAKE BAKERY-STYLE VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS:
You will find the instructions and ingredients list in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
1. Step: Preheat the oven and prepare the muffin pan
Preheat the oven to 200°C and line the muffin pan with 12 muffin liners. Set aside.
2. Step: Make the vegan buttermilk
To the unsweetened almond milk, add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and stir. Set aside.
3. Step: Make the muffin batter
To the mixing bowl, add white cane sugar, brown sugar, and melted coconut oil. Mix with a whisk until it combines. Add vegan yogurt and vanilla extract or paste and mix again. Then add the vegan buttermilk. Mix until combine.
To the wet mixture, sift all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, and a pinch of sea salt. Mix with a whisk until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter. Then add vegan chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar and stir it in.
4. Step: Bake the muffins
Evenly divide the batter into 12 muffin liners you prepared earlier. Add some additional chocolate chips on the top and place the pan into the preheated oven.
Bake at 200°C for 5 min (high heat will help the muffins to create that nice bakery muffin top), then turn the oven to 180°C and bake for 17 min. The muffins are done if a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Otherwise, bake for 2-5 minutes longer, because ovens can vary.
5. Step: Let the muffins cool completely
Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 15-20 minutes, then place them on a cooling rack and let cool completely.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
HOW TO STORE VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS?
First, make sure the muffins are cooled completely. Then store them in an airtight container at room temperature. Line the bottom of the container with a paper towel.
HOW LONG DO CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS LAST?
The chocolate chip muffins will maintain their texture (stay fresh) for 2 days at room temperature in the container. In the fridge, they will last up to a week.
CAN I FREEZE CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS?
Yes, you can freeze the muffins for up to 3 months. Make sure they are cooled completely and then put them in an airtight container or ziplock freezer bag and place them into the freezer.
Let them thaw before serving.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING:
- Vegan Hot Chocolate Cupcakes With Ganache Filling
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Vegan Chocolate Orange Cookies
- Pecan Pie Bars
- Gingerbread Sheet Cake With Molasses Buttercream Frosting
- Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
- Hot Chocolate With Rum
- Creamy Chocolate Protein Smoothie Bowl
If you try this recipe, please let me know by leaving a comment below. Or share your photo on Instagram and tag @plantifulbakery.
BAKERY-STYLE CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS (VEGAN)
- 250 ml (1 cup) unsweetened almond milk, room temperature
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 110 g white cane sugar
- 90 g brown sugar
- 80 g coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp (30 g) plain vegan yogurt, room temperature *
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or paste
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (8 g) cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 100 g vegan chocolate chip or chopped chocolate bar (+extra on top = approx. 15 g)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line the muffin pan with 12 muffin liners. Set aside.
- To the unsweetened almond milk, add apple cider vinegar and stir. Set aside.
- To the mixing bowl, add white cane sugar, brown sugar, and melted coconut oil. Mix with a whisk until it combines. Add vegan yogurt, vanilla extract or paste, and mix again. Then add the vegan buttermilk. Mix until combine.
- To the wet mixture, sift all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, and a pinch of sea salt. Mix with a whisk until just combined. Don't overmix the batter. Then add vegan chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar and stir it in.
- Evenly divide the batter into 12 muffin liners. Add some additional chocolate chips on the top and place the pan into the preheated oven.
- Bake at 200°C for 5 min, then turn the oven to 180°C and bake for 17 min. The muffins are done if a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Otherwise, bake for 2-5 minutes longer.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 15-20 minutes, then place them on a cooling rack and let cool completely.