These Carrot Cake Overnight Oats are creamy, sweet, nutritious, loaded with grated carrot, walnuts, and cinnamon flavor. It’s like cake for breakfast, but healthy. No cooking. Just grab and go!
VEGAN CARROT CAKE OVERNIGHT OATS RECIPE
Overnight oats are one of the simplest nourishing make-ahead breakfast. And they are perfect for meal prep – to eat them after a workout, at school, or at work. Prepare the oats the night before, place them in the fridge overnight, and the next morning your breakfast is ready to be eaten. 8 ingredients, 10 minutes, plus you’re adding a veggie to your breakfast.
For this recipe, I used almond milk and plant-based yogurt for extra creaminess. It really does make a difference in adding yogurt to your overnight oats. Maple syrup gives it just the right bit of sweetness. And it’s perfectly spiced by cinnamon and nutmeg.
These overnight oats, full of carrot cake flavor and walnuts, remind me of my favorite cake. No raisins for me in these overnight oats! Sorry, I don’t like them. But feel free to add them if you’re a fan.
Overnight are meant to be served cold, but you can absolutely enjoy them warmed up.
THIS CARROT CAKE OVERNIGHT OATS ARE:
- gluten-free (if using certified gluten-free oats)
- sweetened with maple syrup
- filled with carrot cake flavor
- done in a few minutes
- perfect breakfast for a busy morning
WHAT ARE OVERNIGHT OATS?
Overnight oats are (usually) rolled oats soaked in liquid in the fridge overnight and don’t require any cooking. It’s a simple grab-and-go breakfast or snack, perfect for meal prep, that is eaten straight from the refrigerator.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THE BEST CARROT CAKE OVERNIGHT OATS:
You need the following ingredients to make this Vegan Carrot Cake Overnight Oats:
- Rolled oats – You can’t make overnight oats without oats! Rolled oats, also called old-fashioned oats, are best when it comes to overnight oats. You can use quick oats instead, but they can turn a little mushy and less creamy.
- Ground or chopped walnuts – I always add walnuts to carrot cake, so they can’t be missed in this carrot cake overnight oats.
- Ground cinnamon and nutmeg – These are essential for carrot cake flavor.
- Grated carrots – It wouldn’t be carrot cake without carrots! Feel free to add as much you like to the overnight oats.
- Plant-based yogurt – Yogurt adds extra creaminess to the overnight oats. I used plain, unsweetened soy yogurt, but coconut or cashew yogurt works well.
- Unsweetened almond milk – Almond milk adds a nice nutty flavor but use any plant milk you have. If you run out of milk, use water instead (the overnight oats will be less creamy).
- Maple syrup – You can substitute for any liquid sweetener, such as agave syrup, date syrup, coconut nectar, or stevia. I find maple syrup fits the best for carrot cake flavor.
- Favorite toppings – You don’t have to add any topping to the overnight oats. However, I always add something on top to make it super delicious. Read my favorite overnight oats toppings below.
Equipment you need:
- Mason jar, bowl, or container with a lid
OVERNIGHT OATS TOPPINGS
If you in a hurry, you can entirely skip this. But I love my overnight oats with some toppings.
These are my favorite overnight oats toppings:
- Granola – For nice crunch.
- Chopped nuts – Walnuts or pecans are the best for the carrot cake overnight oats.
- Hemp seeds – Great basically on everything. You can never go wrong with hemp seeds.
- Chia seeds – Chia seeds are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Goji berries – I know many people don’t like them, but I love them.
- Cocoa nibs – It’s my new addiction.
- Shredded coconut or coconut flakes/chips – If you feel extra, use toasted coconut.
- Peanut or almond butter – My must-have on any sweet breakfast. Use your favorite nut butter.
- Fresh fruit – Chopped apple fits the best to the carrot cake flavor but feel free to add strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries
- Extra syrup – For more sweetness! I used homemade vegan honey.
HOW TO MAKE CARROT CAKE OVERNIGHT OATS:
You will find the instructions and ingredients list in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Making this Carrot Cake Overnight Oats is super easy and comes with 2 following steps:
1. Step: Prepare the overnight oats the night before
To the mason jar or bowl, add rolled oats, ground, or chopped walnuts, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and grated carrots. Mix with a spoon to combine.
Then add plant-based yogurt, unsweetened almond milk, and maple syrup. Mix again until combined.
Cover the mason jar or bowl with cover and place it into the fridge to soak.
2. Step: Refrigerate overnight
Refrigerate the oats overnight or at least for 5 hours.
The next day, take the jar from the fridge (you can let it sit for a few minutes if it’s too cold for you), open the lid, and stir a few times with a spoon.
Add your favorite toppings like almond butter, granola, or shredded coconut.
Enjoy your jar of creamy overnight oats!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
CAN I USE QUICK OATS INSTEAD OF ROLLED OATS FOR OVERNIGHT OATS?
Yes, you can use quick oats instead of rolled oats, but they can turn a little mushy and less creamy. Rolled oats, also called old-fashioned oats, are the best option when it comes to overnight oats.
CAN OVERNIGHT OATS BE WARMED UP?
Yes! If you prefer your oats to be warm, you can definitely warm them. Transfer them into a saucepan and warmed up over medium heat.
HOW LONG OVERNIGHT OATS LAST?
Overnight oats can last for about 4 days if you store them in the fridge.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES:
- Tofu Scramble (Vegan Scrambled Eggs)
- The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Chocolate Protein Smoothie Bowl
If you try this recipe, please let me know by leaving a comment below. Or share your photo on Instagram and tag @plantifulbakery.
HEALTHY CARROT CAKE OVERNIGHT OATS
- 50 grams rolled oats
- 7 grams (=1 tbsp) walnuts, ground or chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 25 grams carrot, grated
- 125 grams (=1/2 cup) plant-based yogurt, plain
- 125 ml (=1/2 cup) unsweetened almond milk
- 20 grams (=1 tbsp) maple syrup (= 1 tbsp)
- To the mason jar or bowl, add rolled oats, ground or chopped walnuts, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and grated carrots. Mix with a spoon to combine.
- Add plant-based yogurt, unsweetened almond milk, and maple syrup. Mix again until combined.
- Cover the mason jar or bowl with cover and place it into the fridge to soak.
- Refrigerate the oats overnight or at least for 5 hours.
- Add your favorite toppings (like almond butter, granola, or shredded coconut).Enjoy your jar of creamy overnight oats!