Are you looking for a perfect breakfast or brunch? Then you should try this delicious Vegan Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake. It will satisfy all your cravings. This cake is moist, but still soft and fluffy, with melting cinnamon sugar swirl in the middle, and delicate buttery crumble on the top.
VEGAN CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE WITH STREUSEL CRUMB TOPPING
This soft cinnamon breakfast cake is the winner when it comes to breakfast opinions. It is my go-to comfort dessert. Especially in the autumn, when I make a variety of cinnamon recipes. It is an easy sheet cake, that is fluffy and moist, with cinnamon sugar swirl in the middle of the cake. And it has buttery streusel crumb topping, which is the best part, am I right? Oh, and it’s vegan!
I don’t usually eat cakes for breakfast, but this coffee cake is definitely the exception for me.
WHY IS IT CALLED COFFEE CAKE?
Don’t be confused. It doesn’t contain any coffee. The cake is meant to be enjoyed with a hot cup of coffee.
Still, you can add ground coffee to the cake if you like. Also, feel free to add nuts for extra crunch.
THIS VEGAN CINNAMON STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE IS:
- easy to make
- so delicious
- the best breakfast or brunch cake
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE VEGAN CINNAMON STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE:
You need the following ingredients to make this Vegan Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake:
- Brown cane sugar – Which adds caramel flavor to the crumb topping and cinnamon sugar swirl.
- Ground cinnamon – Cinnamon create that cozy flavor.
- All-purpose flour – Which makes the cake extra soft and fluffy. If you want to use whole wheat flour, keep in mind, it will change the flavor and texture of the cake.
- Sea salt
- Vegan butter – We use cold vegan butter for the topping. Use vegan butter that has about 80% fat. You can substitute it with cold coconut oil. You will also need extra for greasing the pan.
- White cane sugar – White sugar will make the coffee cake light in color. Make sure your sugar is vegan – which is usually an organic one.
- Sunflower oil – You can use any other vegetable oil; however, make sure it has a neutral flavor.
- Coconut sour cream (or unsweetened coconut yogurt) – This will make the coffee cake moist and soft. I used coconut sour cream that has 15% fat, but you can also use thick unsweetened coconut yogurt, which works great as well.
- Maple syrup – This will add a nice flavor.
- Apple cider vinegar – Vinegar activates the baking soda.
- Unsweetened almond milk – Use any other plant-based milk of your choice.
- Vanilla extract – Use high-quality pure vanilla extract.
- Baking soda – Baking soda activates with apple cider vinegar and makes the cake super fluffy.
- Baking powder – It helps the cake rise.
- Powder sugar – For dusting the cake on the top after baking. This step is optional, but it makes the cake prettier when serving.
Equipment you need:
- Square cake pan – 23x23cm or 9x9in
- Parchment paper
- Small bowl
- 2x Medium-size bowls
- Larger bowl
- Hand mixer or whisk
- Spatula or wooden spoon
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST VEGAN CINNAMON STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE
You will find the instructions and ingredients list in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Making this Vegan Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake is easy and comes with 7 steps:
1. Step: Prepare your baking pan
Lightly grease a 23x23cm/9x9in square pan with a little bit of vegan butter or coconut oil. Then line the pan with a strip of parchment paper (you can secure the parchment paper on the sides of the pan with binder paper clips). It will prevent the coffee cake from sticking to the pan.
2. Step: Prepare cinnamon sugar swirl
Prepare cinnamon sugar swirl by combining brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour in a small bowl by using a small whisk or fork. Set aside.
3. Step: Prepare the streusel topping
For the crumble topping, mix brown cane sugar, ground cinnamon, all-purpose flour, and sea salt in a bowl. Cut cold vegan butter into little pieces or grate it on a grater and add to the mixture. Use a fork to combine everything the ingredients until it starts to clump. You can use your hands for better combining. But you will have to work quickly to avoid melting the butter.
4. Step: Make the cake batter
Make sure you accurately measure all of the ingredients.
In a large bowl, beat together with a hand mixer or whisk white cane sugar, sunflower oil, and coconut sour cream (or unsweetened coconut yogurt) for about 1 minute. Add maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, unsweetened almond milk, and vanilla extract and mix again until combined.
In a separate bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt.
Sift the flour mixture into the large bowl with the wet ingredients and use a spatula or wooden spoon to mix the batter until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter.
5. Step: Layer the cake
Pour about 300 grams of the batter into the prepared pan and spread to the sides.
Next, sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the first layer. Make sure to cover all the batter in the pan.
Pour the remaining batter into the pan and carefully spread it to the sides with an icing spatula (or silicone spatula).
Sprinkle the crumb all over the top of the cake.
6. Step: Bake in the oven
Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, and the crumb is golden brown. Otherwise, bake for 2-5 minutes longer.
7. Step: Cool the cake completely
Make sure to let the cake cool completely before serving. If your cake is still warm, it will be harder to cut.
Dust the top of the cake with powder sugar just before eating.
HOW TO STORE VEGAN CINNAMON STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE?
Store your Cinnamon Coffee Cake covered at room temperature. It will stay soft for up to 4 days. Or store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
You can also freeze the coffee cake. Store it in a plastic bag or covered container. It will last for up to 2 – 3 months in the freezer. Then just let it thaw before eating.
More breakfast ideas:
- Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
- The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Tofu Scramble (Vegan Scrambled Eggs)
If you try this recipe, please let me know by leaving a comment below. Or share your photo on Instagram and tag @plantifulbakery.
VEGAN CINNAMON STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE
For the cinnamon sugar swirl
- 25 grams brown cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon (=5g) all-purpose flour
For the crumble topping
- 55 grams brown cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 70 grams all-purpose flour
- pinch sea salt
- 50 grams vegan butter cold
For the cinnamon coffee cake
- 95 grams white cane sugar (organic)
- 30 grams sunflower oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 200 grams coconut sour cream* (15% fat)
- 2 tablespoons (=30ml) maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (=30ml) unsweetened almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 180 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- powder sugar (for dusting) optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 23cm x 23cm/9x9in square pan with a little bit of vegan butter, then line with a strip of parchment paper. Set aside.
- For the crumble, mix 55 g brown cane sugar, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 70 g all-purpose flour, and a pinch of salt in a medium-size bowl. Cut 50 g cold vegan butter into little pieces or grate it on a grater and add to the mixture. Use a fork to combine the ingredients until it starts to clump **.
- In a large bowl, beat together with a hand mixer or whisk 95 g white cane sugar, 30g sunflower oil, and 200 g coconut sour cream (or coconut yogurt) for about 1 minute. Add 2 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk, and 1 tsp vanilla extract and mix again until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine 180 g all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, and ¼ tsp sea salt.
- Sift the flour mixture into the large bowl with the wet ingredients and use a spatula or whisk to mix the batter until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter.
- Pour about 300 g of the batter into the prepared pan and spread to the sides.
- Next, sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the first layer.
- Pour the remaining batter into the pan and carefully spread it to the sides.
- Sprinkle the crumb all over the top of the cake.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, and the crumb is golden brown. Otherwise, bake for 2-5 minutes longer.
- Cool completely before serving. Dust the top of the cake with powder sugar.