This Vegan Hot Chocolate spiked with rum is creamy, rich, and super chocolaty. It’s the perfect drink to comfort you on a cold winter night. This recipe for homemade hot chocolate is simple and ready in less than 10 minutes.
HOMEMADE VEGAN HOT CHOCOLATE WITH RUM RECIPE:
This hot drink is made with real chocolate and cocoa powder, which makes it extra rich and indulgent. A dash of ground cinnamon adds slightly heat flavor. And the exciting part, a rum.
I never had any alcohol in hot chocolate. And let me tell you, I was missing out so much! Rum and chocolate create a perfect combination.
This boozy hot chocolate made in Italian style is the best Christmas company. It’s thick, quick, and so tasty.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HOT COCOA AND HOT CHOCOLATE?
Hot cocoa is made from cocoa powder, milk, and sugar. It is lighter, and often sweeter.
Hot chocolate, on the other hand, is made from real chocolate, milk or hot water, and sugar. It has a richer flavor, and it’s more filling.
THIS ITALIAN HOT CHOCOLATE WITH RUM IS:
- super chocolaty
- made with dark chocolate
- perfect winter/christmas hot drink
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE HOMEMADE VEGAN HOT CHOCOLATE:
You need the following ingredients to make this Hot Chocolate with Rum:
- Unsweetened almond milk – Almond milk adds a nutty flavor, but any plant-based milk works for this recipe. Coconut milk will make it even more creamy.
- Brown sugar – You can use coconut sugar instead. Maple syrup and stevia should work as well.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – Use unsweetened high-quality cocoa powder. It adds more richness.
- Cornstarch – Starch will thicken the hot chocolate.
- Ground cinnamon – A pinch of cinnamon adds slight heat. It is an optional ingredient.
- Sea salt – To bring out all those flavors.
- Dark chocolate bar, around 55% – Use high-quality chocolate bar. The percentage of cocoa solids will affect the sweetness of hot chocolate. Therefore, if you use a higher percentage, you may need to add more sugar. Don’t use chocolate chips (they are made to hold shape when baking, so they don’t melt like a chocolate bar).
- Rum – This is a complete game-changer. It goes so well with chocolate. Add how much of rum you desire. However, if you don’t drink alcohol, just skip this ingredient. The hot chocolate will still be delicious.
Equipment you need:
- Small bowl
- Mini stainless whisk or fork
- Medium Saucepan
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN ITALIAN HOT CHOCOLATE WITH RUM:
You will find the instructions and ingredients list in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Making this Hot Chocolate is simple and comes with 2 following steps:
1. Mix almond milk, cocoa powder, and cornstarch
In a small bowl, combine 4 tablespoons of almond milk, cocoa powder, and cornstarch. It will prevent from getting lumps of cocoa powder in hot chocolate. Whisk until dissolved. I like to use a mini whisk, but a fork will do the job. Set the bowl aside.
2. Warm the milk, add the rest of the ingredients and let cook
To a medium saucepan, pour the remaining milk (240 ml), add brown sugar, a pinch of ground cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. Mix with the whisk. Heat the mixture until it starts boiling. Then reduce the heat add finely chopped dark chocolate bar, rum, and cornstarch milk mixture. Whisk until smooth and combined. Let cook for about 3 minutes until it thickens a little (stir occasionally).
Pour into a mug. Top with vegan marshmallows or coconut whipped cream. Sprinkle with cocoa powder, shredded chocolate, or ground cinnamon. Serve immediately.
Note: The consistency will thicken slightly as the hot chocolate cool down.
WHAT TYPE OF PLANT MILK IS BEST FOR HOMEMADE HOT CHOCOLATE?
Any plant-based milk works for this recipe, so it’s your choice based on what you like the most. Almond, cashew, and hazelnut milk will add a slightly nutty flavor. Oat and soy milk will be more neutral in flavor.
If you want your hot chocolate extra creamy, use full-fat coconut milk.
CAN YOU STORE HOT CHOCOLATE?
Yes, if you make extra, you can store it in the fridge. After your hot chocolate is done, let it cool completely. Then transfer into a glass jar, cover with a lid, and place into the fridge. It will last till the next day. Then the next day, heat it through in a saucepan.
IF YOU LIKE THIS FESTIVE HOT DRINK, YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
COMFORT FOOD RECIPES TO CHECK OUT:
- Vegan Gingerbread Sheet Cake With Molasses Buttercream Frosting
- Walnut Crescent Cookies
- Vegan Gingerbread Cookies With Icing
- Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
- Creamy Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
If you try this recipe, please let me know by leaving a comment below. Or share your photo on Instagram and tag @plantifulbakery.
VEGAN HOT CHOCOLATE WITH RUM (ITALIAN STYLE)
- 300 ml unsweetened almond milk (=240ml+60ml)
- 1 tbsp (6g) cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 tbsp (4g) corn starch
- 1 tbsp (12g) brown sugar*
- pinch ground cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 40 g dark chocolate, 55%, finely chopped (high quality)
- 1 tbsp rum
- In a small bowl, combine 4 tablespoons (60 ml) of almond milk, cocoa powder, and corn starch. Whisk until dissolved. Set the bowl aside.
- To a medium saucepan, pour the remaining milk (240 ml), add brown sugar, a pinch of ground cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. Mix with the whisk. Heat the mixture until it starts boiling. Then reduce the heat add finely chopped dark chocolate bar, rum, and cornstarch milk mixture. Whisk until smooth and combined. Let cook for about 3 minutes until it thickens a little (stir occasionally) **.
- Pour into a mug. Top with vegan marshmallows or coconut whipped cream. Sprinkle with cocoa powder, shredded chocolate, or ground cinnamon.
- Serve immediately.