EASY VEGAN STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES
Easy Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes topped with strawberry buttercream frosting. They are moist, fluffy, soft, and flavorful. This small-batch makes 6 cupcakes. Dye-free, dairy-free, egg-free.
- 1/3 cup (80ml) unsweetened almond milk, room temperature (or any plant-based milk)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1/3 cup (67g) white granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) sunflower oil (or canola oil)
- 3 tbsp (52g) strawberry jam
- ¾ cup (96g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- 3-4 large strawberries, fresh (65g) + extra for decoration
- ½ cup (113g) vegan butter, softened*
- 1 cup (120g) powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk, room temperature (or any plant-based milk)
- 1 cup (20g) freeze-dried strawberries
Preheat the oven to 180°C and line the muffin pan with 6 cupcake liners. Set aside.
To unsweetened almond milk, add apple cider vinegar. Mix and set aside.
To a medium-size bowl, add all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of sea salt. Mix with a whisk and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, using a whisk, mix granulated sugar with sunflower oil and strawberry jam. Add vegan buttermilk and mix until well combined.
To the wet ingredients, sift dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Be careful not to overmix the batter. Next, finely chop fresh strawberries and mix them into the batter.
Divide the batter evenly into 6 cupcake liners. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. If it looks wet, bake for about 5 minutes longer. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
To make strawberry powder, add freeze-dried strawberries to the high-speed blender add and pulse until a fine powder.
Add soft butter to a mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer (or stand mixer) until smooth. Sift half of the powdered sugar and mix until combined. While mixing, add one tablespoon at a time of almond milk. Sift the rest of the powdered sugar, and mix until soft, light, and super fluffy. Next, add freeze-dried strawberry powder and mix until well combined (add less of the powder for lighter color). The mixing can take up to 3-4 minutes
Pipe the buttercream frosting over each cupcake. Decorate with fresh strawberries.
Serve immediately or store in the fridge in an airtight container.
* Vegan Butter: Use vegan butter that has around 75-80% of fat. Make sure to let the butter soften at room temperature before making the frosting.
Store the cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can also freeze unfrosted cupcakes for up to 3 months.
Please read my blog post above for tips and helpful information.